Honda Thailand should be very satisfied with how well received the new 2009 Honda City has been. With over 4,500 units sold in the first 2 weeks on the market, this City is proving to be very popular.
Predictably, the V and SV models are the bigger sellers, with 80% of sales distributed between these higher spec models, and the S taking up the other 20%. So, some people can still do without airbags, ABS, EBD and BA.
Honda had prepared around 4,000 units in time for the launch, but don't see any difficulty in delivering the additional 500 sales on time.
Honda finally sorted out their insurance and let me have a go in the new 2009 Honda City. The test drive run was a short one, less than 5 km, but long enough to get a feel for the car.
As always, this sort of test drive report is in no way a substitute for your own test drive experience. That said, here are my thoughts having driven the City, including a comparison to its closest rival..... The Vi.... I mean the Jazz.
This is a quick report on my first experience with the all-new 2009 Honda City. I will have to wait until next week to actually drive the car, just as all other ordinary people in Thailand who are looking forward to their test drive, but I have had a chance to look at the new City up close, get behind the wheel and push, pull, wiggle, open, close, and slam, everything that could be pushed, pulled, wiggled, opened, closed or slammed.
So, I'd like to share some notable observations with you.
If you check through the news postings for the last few weeks, you'll find that more than a fair share of them are relating to the 2009 Honda City. This is partly because there is virtually nothing else interesting happening in the Thai motoring industry right now. But the fact still remains that the City is a massively-important car for Honda.
Honda are building up for the Thai launch of the all-new 2009 Honda City with a teaser video available through their City micro-site.
The video details a launch event between 12th and 14th September at Siam Paragon, although the official launch is still set for 10th September.
According to Honda Thailand, this will also be the world debut for the new City.Click to view the video.
Updated : New images added.
The 2009 Honda City is one of the most talked about cars in Asia right now. With high global oil prices, the appeal of small cars is obvious.
The Honda City looks set to capture a large chunk of the small sedan market in this part of the world, and with just a couple of weeks left before the launch, there is still some mystery about the details of the car.
Let's have a look at what is known, or can be assumed about the new car, and try to fill in the blanks with some educated guesses. Hopefully we'll get close to reality.
Details on the 2009 Honda City are still hard to come by with just weeks left before the official unveil. Honda sales people are being very secretive, but gradually the pieces are starting to fall together. More credible images are starting to appear, and now the specification is starting to look sensible too.
The 2nd generation Honda Jazz has been selling very well in Thailand since its launch earlier this year. Perhaps too well, and although the Honda Thailand website still shows the same pricing on the Jazz since the launch, dealer price lists tell a different story. The price of the Jazz has crept up by THB 10,000 across the board.
Apparently, the 2009 Honda City has been scooped testing in India. If these images are representative of the new fifth generation City, then it is a big departure from the current model.
The scooped images give us a pretty decent idea of what we can expect when the 2009 City reaches Thailand later this year.
The fourth generation City - currently on sale in Thailand - is based on the 1st gen Jazz platform, and shares many parts of the Jazz, including doors, door mirrors, interior trim.